18 August 2008

A Tropical Creature, eh?



It's not really weird how I got that name from my brother. I was constantly complaining about the slightest winter over here. It's already 5 years living outside of Singapore with nice equatorial weather all year round and yet I'm still not liking Winter.

If you read some of my earlier posts, I was complaining constantly about the weather. I dislike COLD weather, period. And now, I discovered I do not actually like the HOT counterpart too much either.

Whenever it comes to travelling, I am one of those that will try to avoid the colder winter months. This is because the cold makes me feel miserable and make the vacation unenjoyable in a way. I hate having to drag a kilo of coats and boots in my bag when I travel. It's too troublesome and that means there goes the extra kilo of souvenirs to carry home.

However, after travelling around Europe for a couple of years, I realised winter months are actually the best months for touring. All the extra luggage aside, well.. for those in Singapore who don't get to enjoy having an extra Winter wardrobe, this is the best time to show off that mouldy leather jacket.

What's the best part about travelling in the Off-peak travel season is..? The prices! Yes. Everything is relatively cheaper. If you book a tour, your room might be upgraded to a larger one! I'm not joking about it!

Oh and the last point to note about Winter travel...you get to see the world in a different light. Snow. Or even the lack of it. If you arrive earlier in Autumn, you can catch the beautiful shades of coloured leaved everywhere. Simply gorgeous I tell ya!

So what are you waiting for? Book that ticket for the next few months! Don't be a tropical creature like me!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not fortunate to see snow yet ... in real life I mean. The coldest I had been through was when I was in China during their Autumn going into winter. The weather was splendid. It was always around 10-20 and with the cold wind blowing, I swore it was much colder. But the weird thing was, I was still out in my t-shirt and bermudas. The Chinese were looking at me and laughing and asking, "don't you feel cold." Not a bit I would say. And I simply enjoyed eating ice cream in cold weather; somehow ice cream tastes especially good in cold weather. The worst I experience there when I was in Shanghai was like -5 degree c but never snow :)

I might not necessary like snow, but it would be good to at least experience it for once in life.

Somehow I agree with you too, "I hate having to drag a kilo of coats and boots in my bag..." I like to travel as light as possible. ;)

SheR. said...

Hello BK!
Yeah.. usually you'll feel colder when the chill is hitting your bones. Need to invest in a good windbreaker, I say. That will solve most of the problem.
In London, the temperatures rarely hit zero but the blustery winds were enough to kill me throughout those winters. Eeks.
My coldest experience is -8 Degrees C on the Alps! Brrrrr....

Anonymous said...

Enjoying winter holiday's nice but I still prefer the warm weather we have here...hehhe. Great photo!

SheR. said...

Shutter buggie! Hellos!!!
Oh.. walking in the winter wonderland. Me waiting for lesser tourists crowding our coastline.

I'm wishing for warm weather not HOT!

Thanks for the compliments dear! :)

Tinggay said...

i have not seen a snow YET.
Will see it soon. :)

SheR. said...

Great for you Piebuko!
Snow is nice.. but only for a short while.. personally...

eastcoastlife said...

sher,
Your travel blog!? :P

I cannot stand the cold too, so winter is out for me.

SheR. said...

Hello ECL!!
Yes... this is our Travel Blog. But the other author is too lazy to blog anymore! Ha!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I soooo agree with that. I hate winter too, but it has some advantages as you said yourself...

Spring and autumn is the best choice to travel in Europe in my opinion. I do not like crowds either!

SheR. said...

Hi Life cruiser!
I actually prefer Spring more than Summer. Perhaps because I'm so sick of the hot weather. Spring is lovely when you witness the earth slowly coming back to life. :)