14 August 2009

On the road again



Not exactly but I do feel like it right now. I guess relocation issues are covered in most expat blog (or long dead expat blogs). For a person that has moved to and from three countries in the last 6 years, I still feel the same stress and emotions as when I first started packing my bags for London. All right let's not get emotional in this post. Let's just stick to packing for our relocation.

I guess there are always tons of things that I or we wish we could move easily across the miles. Containers are a good idea for many but for skint folks like me, I resort to packing my bags till it went over the luggage limit and pray that the airlines let me bring it on board!

With quite a lot of experiences packing my bags when we decided to spread my wings to another land, I'm able to make notes about what are important to carry and what can be left behind for picking up next time. For me, my tools of trade have first priority. Yeah, my knives and cake decorating tools. Not forgetting a couple of books. So all these easily come up to 20 kg. Trust me, when you are relocating to another place for a year or more, clothings are no longer essential items. They are just not worth it to take up the extra kilo or two that you could have spared for something else. Things of sentimental value? Do you bring them along? Most of the time I'll try not to. I can pack them in a parcel and send them over as I would bound not to use these stuff but they are more for display purposes.

So there you have it, my list in the luggage bag. What's yours? Any relocation experiences to share?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and want to invite you to join our exclusive Localyte network at no cost. By quickly embedding Localyte’s new widget in your site, you can immediately offer value to your readers.

I’ve built Localyte into an active community of over 30,000 local experts around the world who answer travelers’ questions for free. When travelers ask a question, they get an average of five personal responses from locals who share tips and secrets on their home towns. The travelers return again and again to read these responses, creating a unique opportunity for us to promote other products and services related to their destination.

With the Localyte widget on your site, you can also participate in 50% of the revenue we derive from your visitors who ask questions. And your visitors will never have to leave your website to ask their questions. That's it. It’s completely non-competitive and delivers great value to your readers!

If you’re interested in our widget, please just click http://www.localyte.com/getqwidget.php to go directly to the signup page.

This is an invitation-only offering, so please do not forward this to anyone else. However, if you know a friend that might fit well into this concept, please email me at guillermo@localyte.com with friends' names and emails, etc. and I'll reach out to them if there's a fit.

Thank you!

Guillermo Baensch
Chief Executive Officer
http://localyte.com
guillermo@localyte.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/localyte
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Localytecom/40815783907

Unknown said...

I am always up for a thoughtful discussion like this.




Bol Apartments

Anonymous said...

Actually not rare are the cases when I am packing my bag and I put so unnecessary thing inside or the other option I am forgetting something important :)

Great blog
Greetings holiday apartment london

alobaghdad said...

Great post! Blogging is actually a work and I like very much your blogging work...

Jan's Travel and Tours said...

Making a list (ahead of time) of what to bring during travels will help you done the packaging of things more easier...